Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Horse Named OB

We received a horse for training a few weeks ago. There was nothing abnormal about this encounter; I accepted the horse and started him the following day. One of the boys that spends a lot time with us, Angel, watched me start the horse. I met Angel here at a local ranch called La Gloria 2.5 years ago when we were first in General Cepeda as part of our Intake training. I still recall the encounter like it was yesterday. A smiling, ornery looking kid rode by me on a grey horse as I sat alone visiting with God during a desert day (day of prayer). I spoke to him and gave him a prayer card revealing the power and steps to receive God’s love leading to repentance, forgiveness and salvation. I didn’t expect to see Angel again, but much to my surprise, he entered into my family’s life about 10 months later and is now typically with my family several hours everyday. 
 
Angel riding OB 

It isn’t abnormal for Angel to help me start the training of horses we receive in. He loves horses, and I love to share what knowledge I have acquired. I could see OB had experienced some heavy hands in his life. He had one eye slightly smaller than the other which signified he had taken a hit to the eye, and his front knees were scarred from other trauma. I felt a sense of empathy for him and started him with patience, gentleness and kindness. Within the hour, we were riding him. The owner stopped by, I shared that he was muy mansito (a very gentle horse). The man was slightly aggressive noting the horse was hard mouthed, and he wanted me to run the horse. My lack of self-control spouted back that it was his first day under a saddle, and if he wanted me to train him I would use the methods that have worked for me which did not include running the horse on the first day of training. As the week progressed, a handful of people stopped by to comment and to ask questions about the little horse OB. I replied that he was doing well, he was really gentle, and my kids had even been riding him. Finally, one gentleman said that the horse is a bronco, that many people have tried to ride him and he is a bad horse. Angel's brother had witnessed the encounter and shared that the story was true. As I continued to ride, I heard God say "love changes everything!” 

The words may not seem profound to the reader but they were super touching for me. I realized in a powerful way that my strong will, anger, criticism, teachings, and sharing my self-righteous opinion with perseverance in self-reliance changes nothing! The Lord recklessly changed me with HIS gentle, patient, merciful, unconditional love. So much so that it compelled me to completely change my life.

I felt again like St. Paul with scales falling from my eyes to see the transformation in the lives of the men around me: the life of Francisco, Angel, Chuy, I., Al., T., S. and many other men. They didn’t need someone to tell them their sins. They already knew, but love changed their lives. 
 
Friday Night Mens Group

Friday Night Mens Group

I love training horses, but at times I get frustrated and want to strong arm a troubled horse and then the argument only escalates. There was no argument, only empathy, patience, and gentleness shared with this horse. The love and gentleness OB received may have been a first time experience for him; he responded not with a fight, but with unity and cooperation. I will fall short in the future as I have in the past, but I am moving forward with a stronger conviction for gentleness and patience. Please pray for me to withstand and remember this experience. A gentle approach tamed a notorious bronco and it will win over more and tame our wounded hearts as well. I encourage you, too, to approach an untamed situation with empathy, patience and gentle, merciful love. As Jesus Christ showed us first hand "love changes everything.”

Blessings of peace and joy.

Jmn







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Love, Be Mercy

The beautiful, historic church in General Cepeda: San Fransisco de Asis. Last spring, we were discussing the miracle of the Eucharist and th...