Monday, June 1, 2020

In the Eye of the Beholder

I've always heard it said that things can be seen as a blessing or a curse. Some people are always able to see the light in the darkness; I’m usually not one of those people. I am very aware that there are a lot of our family, friends and a multitude of people impacted by this terrible virus. While there are many hardships resulting from it, the Lord has gifted my family abundantly through the quarantine experience. I feel blessed to see the light in the darkness of this experience. In the darkness, we have made a strong effort to sing praises and focus on our dominion.

Last year, when we discerned the Lord’s plan and were asking for clarity for our mission for 2020, God revealed the need to focus on the domestic church and our individual roles as priest, prophet, and king. The Knights of Columbus published a very simple meditation and guidebook called " The Family Fully Alive" that helped format our 2020 mission. The Lord had given me the 80/20 rule: 80% of my time was to focus on my family and forming each other first as disciples, then the other 20% could be used for other outside ministries like the men’s group, cowboy ministry, etc. So this was a clear precise mission for 2020. As we returned from our Christmas break in the states and settled back into General Cepeda, I became very occupied with good holy projects to glorify the Lord and help serve HIS people. The problem, however, was that it was my will and what seemed to be holy work was really just distractions from the actual mission the Lord gave me and my family for this year. As we approached March, I felt we were really doing well… our bible studies had grown in number, we were working with a local family (Cesar Rodriguez Family) to provide a rodeo kids ministry, and another house ministry formed with one of our disciples Ivan Salinas had started up-all felt great! Then we were advised to close all ministries and all group meetings due to the coronavirus. As our ministries were gaining momentum everything came to a sudden halt in one quick conversation with the local priest and simple letter from the Bishop. Mass was cancelled, prayer groups, bible studies, the kids’ school… everything stopped. I felt slightly frustrated and lamented with the Lord in the chapel. HE gently reminded me that my mission was 80% family FIRST. The Almighty, All Knowing GOD, our Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit removed every possible distraction so I could focus 110% on my wife and my children. Geesh, I am so hard headed and so vain yet the Lord does everything possible to correct my wrongs and set me straight. Thank YOU Jesus. So maybe the world shut down and we were contained to our homes solely so the Lord could bless me and get my priorities straight. However, with all HIS merciful love, I believe God is doing more good than just blessing my family during this quarantine. I can't help but wonder if HE isn't asking all of us to focus more on our own domestic church. Quien sabe? Solo Dios. I do know we have been greatly blessed, and I hope our experience can bless another.

All Glory To God!

Blessings of love,
Jmn


Getting ready for the egg hunt on Easter

5 comments:

  1. So happy for yall Jeremy and Lisa! The rewards of the 80/20 will continually be very fruitful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read Jeremy. Love that you have found Gods way in a foreign land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    My name is Carla and I follow Family Missions Company on Facebook. I saw the post about your family the other day and it caught my eye because I'm living in Monterrey, MX right now with my husband who grew up here. I'm from NY and my husband and I met in Boston, where we went to college together. It would be awesome to get in touch to learn more about the work that your family's doing in General Cepeda. Feel free to send us an email!

    Have a great day!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is carlamplanz@gmail.com by the way!

      Delete

Be Love, Be Mercy

The beautiful, historic church in General Cepeda: San Fransisco de Asis. Last spring, we were discussing the miracle of the Eucharist and th...