Tuesday, September 3, 2019

True Generosity

At the end of June, Jeremy was able to provide work for a number of men and women here through repairing and repainting the mission house. One of the women who came in need of work was M. She is a personality around town. She is very forward and friendly. When she came to participate in the work project, I was in the kitchen (a separate area) helping Lincoln with school (finishing up homeschooling kindergarten) and nursing Gabriella. Several mornings she came in to ask me for something and to touch Gabriella’s head while she was nursing. I redirected her to Jeremy in the other area and, to be honest, was becoming annoyed with her. Then one morning as I was going out to get groceries, she gave me money to buy coke for her. When I got back and gave her the coke, she asked me for some cups and immediately started pouring everyone working there a cup of coke. Whoa, I was floored. The amount of money to buy coke was almost half of what she made working that morning. And immediately she shared what she had with everyone. Here I was becoming annoyed with this woman and in one moment she put my generosity to shame. She showed me what it means to be truly generous.  Joseph Summers (former director of Family Missions Company) paraphrases teachings from the Catechism of the Catholic Church saying “Generosity is giving from your need. Giving from your excess is not generosity, it is justice.” I have never been truly generous. I have never sacrificed meeting the needs of myself or my family in order to help others.

M. has shown me true generosity. My respect for her continues to grow as God reveals layer after layer of her beauty to me. Recently during a prayer and convivio (potluck) gathering we hosted at the mission house, M. was twirling with joy while we sang and danced to praise songs. Her free and authentic joy and adoration of the Lord was palpable. I am grateful to know M. and for her Christian example.

Our sweet Gabriella loves to smile and coo.

3 comments:

  1. Love reading about your mission journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me of what the true meaning of generosity. Your faith is so contagious and I thank God for your service to him and the community you are helping. Gabriella is so beautiful! God bless you and your family. We miss you. Love, Pat & Allen Leech

    ReplyDelete

Be Love, Be Mercy

The beautiful, historic church in General Cepeda: San Fransisco de Asis. Last spring, we were discussing the miracle of the Eucharist and th...