Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Catholic and Protestant: Shifting from Pride to Merciful Love United by the Holy Spirit


“Reflect on what I am saying for the Lord will give you understanding in everything" 
(2 Timothy 2:7).

The intent of this post is to share a paradoxical shift from God by discussing recent experiences the Lord entered into showering graces of love and meekness. My hope is to encourage a reflection on our mission as Christian believers and to request the Holy Spirit cleanse and strengthen us all with a greater outpouring of God’s love.

Fleshy quarrels desiring dominance to prove knowledge and power have been present for centuries. However, many of us 21st century Christians seem to have raised the bar on self-righteousness fed by silly debates. It seems like the world is fueled by judging or persecuting others, like the evil one set the bait and many of us swallowed it whole. For me, it was comforting to think that I am a Christian and I am right, believing the Lord is on my side. The Lord has revealed a deeper level of pride I did not know existed within. HE warns "avoid foolish and ignorant debates, for you know that they breed quarrels. A slave of the Lord should not quarrel but should be gentle with everyone" (2 Timothy 2:23-24). I am challenged to hear all things with love and communicate all things with love, praising the Lord in everything.

Jeremy and Adan
My awareness deepened as I have journeyed with a passionate, spirit-filled non-denominational brother (Adan) in Christ almost everyday for a few months.We witness the Lord's presence in our times of prayer and see the Holy Spirit at work. He views my relationship with the Lord as authentic and real, but he has serious doubts about the Catholic Church. He sees many lukewarm Catholics, lacking a “personal relationship” with God. He admitted it was surprising for him to witness a Catholic sing songs of praise and worship and pray in a charismatic manner. To be honest, initially I was hurt by his comments and wanted to deflect the pain. I shared with him that Catholics have led praise and worship here in General Cepeda (GC) and surrounding ranchos for 30 + years. I noted the 1970's model Alvarez guitar he was holding was most likely from the FMC founders. While I knew he was expressing his view and hurts (persecutions) from prior experiences, my flesh wanted to address this as an issue extending well beyond Catholicism but I decided to end our night with prayer and thanksgiving. The next day I felt the Lord gently invite me to reflect and meditate on the Beatitudes and the pastoral letters to Timothy.

I thought about the subconscious darkness in God’s people judging and talking about their brothers and sisters in Christ disrespectfully. I have been guilty of this sin and witnessed it many times. I whole heartedly know that pride and the lack of meekness is destructive to the Kingdom; it only spreads evil, corrupting minds and stealing peace. The replay of ill thoughts and judgement are draining and unfruitful, but sometimes it feels impossible to stop the replay. This feeling was fresh in my mind from another recent conversation (which I’m sure was meant to be life giving but didn’t feel that way). As I tried to lay these ill feelings before the Lord, HE reminded me, "come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest." I felt as if Jesus said, “I know how draining and debilitating life is if you are burdened with judgement, negativity and anger.” "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart, and you will find rest for yourselves, for my yoke is easy and my burden light" (Mathew 11: 28-30). Oh to rest with the Lord, to lay our hurts and angers at HIS feet. I felt Jesus yoke my heart to HIS and I felt freedom as He pumped meek, humble, loving, patient, life-giving blood into my soul. In this moment of asking, HE helped me better understand who I am and who HE is. Even (weeks later) as I edit this, it is a constant challenge and reminder to lay every ill thought and feeling at HIS feet.

Blindness, Surrender, Freedom
Jesus encouraged me to reflect more about the prideful thoughts and conversations I have entertained, justifying quarrels as defending HIM. HE helped me to understand how to be passionate yet obedient and docile to HIM with love by recalling two other instances. One personal experience was our entrance into foreign missions. I did not want to serve in GC because I thought it was an established post and I pridefully wanted to blaze a new trail in an untouched corner of the world. The Lord laughed and sent us to GC. However, it is here where our family has been lovingly welcomed and blessed by amazing people. HE has blessed our ministry by using us to touch the people that need HIM here in our new home. Another more radical example Christ provided was Saul’s fervent desire to serve God by killing every Christian in the first century. The conversion and transformation of Saul to the Apostle Paul left him deeply sorry for his sins. St. Paul’s newfound docility allowed the Lord to use the same relentless talents and convictions to bear much fruit for God’s Kingdom. The Lord used St. Paul’s experiences to teach me that all zealous efforts are not of the Lord and proper discernment with obedience is crucial. I confess, I have at times thought my reflections and level of knowledge were more superior to another. I recognize this form of pride and try desperately to repent seeking a meek and humble heart avoiding quarrels. In effort to avoid this daily battle of evil snares, I try to keep my mind clear of negative thoughts and rely heavily on the Lord for guidance. To ensure I am hearing the Lord’s voice and not that of the evil one, I try to completely surrender my agenda or pre-conceived beliefs, call on the Holy Spirit with continuous dialogue asking the Lord to rid me of everything that is not of Him and asking for Him to lead me and guide me while reading and studying God’s Word. The Lord connects the dots providing a strong sense of peace. This helps me to know and live more freely into the will of God.

As noted above, I have experienced times of great frustration with pride-filled mistakes. However, the freedom and peace experienced when living fully in the will of the Lord is magnificent. Therefore, I share these graces the Lord pours out, believing we can improve our approach to actively share the Gospel verbally and physically with a pure heart. My hope is that as one mystical body, we will call on the help of the Holy Spirit to flood our souls with meek, humble, and merciful love. If this post encouraged you to live with more love, please share with another.

"Pursue righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience and gentleness. Guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid profane babbling and the absurdities of so called knowledge" 
(1 Timothy 6:11 & 20).


With much love!
jmn





3 comments:

  1. This is awesome. This is what out pastor has been preaching on over the last few weeks. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeremy. Beautiful witness of God's love and mercy

    ReplyDelete

Be Love, Be Mercy

The beautiful, historic church in General Cepeda: San Fransisco de Asis. Last spring, we were discussing the miracle of the Eucharist and th...